samedi 21 avril 2018

This little piggy went to the market.


Honestly, I have never really been a big fan of markets.  To me it was always hectic and a lot of work.  Don't get me wrong, if we are visiting some new country I usually do make a quick visit to the market as it can be a good cultural experience.  But for me to actually shop there is quite rare.

When we arrived in HCMC, colleagues recommended a large supermarket, not too far from our house, where we could essentially find everything we wanted or needed.  That's where I did the vaste majority of my grocery shopping for many months. After settling in, however, and based on the recommendations of local friends, I was ready to try shopping for fruits and vegetables at the market.  What an experience.  It is crazy busy and ridiculously hot (even at 8:30am) but so much fun!
Now, almost every Sunday morning, I hop on the motorbike and head to the local market with a friend or two.  There, I buy tons of fruits and veggies and marvel at all the other things that are for sale, that I am too chicken to try.  I have bought squid once and shrimp another time, but generally speaking I stick to produce.  It's become part of our weekly routine now to go to the market and then go fo coffee/liquid yogourt at a local coffee shop by our house, chit chatting as we watch the people go buy.  Here are some market pics:

Our favourite stand, in the corner by the road. The best part is the little boy that throws you the basket like if you were in the middle of a game of ultimate frisbee and you were standing in the end zone ready to score.  he he. 

Cay-Lee doing her part for the environment and bringing her own egg carton.  Good job!

Anybody for fish?

Yes... well... rice please?

Amber is a fan of tofu, and here she has many choices.  The sellers are conveniently sitting on the stand, so as to better serve her. 

The Vietnamese do love their greens.  There are tons of options, most of which I can't name, many of which I had never seen before.

Things in a shell, that live in water. 

Au Togo, si tu "cognes des clous", voulant dire que tu tombes endormit, ils disent que tu vends des poules, apparement parce que les vendeuses de poules dorment souvent.  Pas ici, elles sont très alertes, et leurs poules aussi!

Watch out for the jumping shrimp!

Yes, the frogs are also still alive. 

There is also a clothing section to the market, where we can find colourful fabric and clothes. 

A few months ago, my Vietnamese friend (and often teacher) brought me to the flower market in D10. It was another great adventure.  For some reason the flower market is a place that you visit in the late evening (perhaps because of the heat?).  It was really nice with so many types of flowers and so many colours. How to choose what to buy? Especially since I have to carry whatever we buy in my arms on her motorbike.  As an additional perk that night, we got caught in the first of many parades celebrating the success of the U23 Vietnamese soccer team. Stopped at a red light I started cheering loudly, which started a big wave of cheering.  Until people noticed that I was not Vietnamese... then they started laughing.  he he.  Good times!  

Thank you Quynh!

Some of the varieties of flowers available.

Go Vietnam!


A few weekends ago, we had a long weekend and decided to go to Phu Quoc with some friends.  It is a Southern Vietnamese island that is pretty close to Cambodia. There we also visited a night market, which was pretty great. 

Phu Quoc night market.  Probably the best night market I've ever been to.  Lots of food options, nice clothes, not too many people, etc. 

I didn't have any, and I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it looked good. 

Homemade ice cream made before your eyes.  Pretty tasty!

Aucun commentaire:

Publier un commentaire

En conclusion...

Ça fait maintenant plus d'un mois qu'on est de retour au Canada. On a eu la chance de voir de la  famille et plusieurs amis.  On ...